Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rant warning - ARM

Today's training:


60 minutes in the pool, working on short, medium-to-"firm" paced intervals totalling 2800m.
45 minutes bike - one leg drills - very difficult after swimming and a hard run this morning.
60 minutes mid-length E2 run (or so I think - that was the plan going out the door), and here begins the rant.


Six and one-half minutes into this morning's run, my heart rate monitor (HRM) gave up the ghost. First, it spiked up to over 225 bpm. After stopping to briefly correct that, I started up again, at which point it signaled that the "watch" was receiving no data from the HRM because it was too far away. It was less than three feet away - strap around chest, watch around wrist.


I'm tired of my HRM. I won't mention it by brand name (unless someone asks). It's frustrating and misnamed - it should be an ARM - an ass-rate monitor because that's where it inevitably ends up, regardless of how tightly the strap is set beforehand. To add frustration today, the freakin' thing spiked to 240 bpm and then bounced around between there and 223 bpm. Now, I suspect this could be due to a dying battery (not dead yet) but this just adds to a long list of complaints I've had with this piece of equipment ever since it entered my work routine. There is an associated GPS function that in two years has managed to track me accurately twice. It can't track me on the run or on the bike, although it did give me (presumably) accurate pace data one time when I tried it for fun walking the dog. Useful info, that was.

10 more sleeps to the "House of Mouse".

Keep on.

1 comment:

Darren said...

Too bad you can't make it up this weekend .. just think, next time we WILL be biking outside. Count on it.

You in the market for a new HRM? I was thinking of getting the Polar CS300.. LBS has them on sale and I really do need to upgrade. Email your 2 cents.

Cheers bro.