Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blow up your basement!

Week's training review:



Swim - 180min -8000 m

Bike - 225 min

Run - 240 min - 26.2 miles (but not in one go!)

Weekly total - 645 min (10:45) - not bad for March Break with full-time Daddy Day Care. I love my kids unconditionally, more than anything. Right now, I'll love them even more when they're back at school.



You'll notice that the swim is slightly lower than recent averages. I gave up one swim yesterday to take the bike outside!!! Woo-hoo! Yes kids, it's time. And even if it's not the bike is now hanging in the garage stubbornly refusing to go back downstairs. That's it. The end of entrapment. The basement is done. Fill it with concrete, or shag carpet if that's your preference. Yesterday was 5 degrees C, windless and a beautiful day to hit the roads, which were dry in most locations. The weather forecast for the rest of this week is above freezing, with most days at or above 5 degrees again. There should be numerous opportunities to get out on the roads again.



As expected, I saw a lot of other cyclists on the road, busting out of the basements, throwing off the oppressive shackles of bike stands, trainers and rollers, putting away the treadmills, turning off the VCR/DVD players and getting out to watch naturally changing scenery. Always fun to pass through a patch of shade, feel the temperature drop ten degrees and look for black ice. And hey, if you've got problems with the temperature, console yourself with the fact that it's 100% naturally bug-free at this time of year.



Don't even know exactly how far I rode - something in the neighborhood of 50km in around 1h45min (with stoplights factored in - roads are drier in town than in the countryside). It did cost me two tire tubes. In my haste to get the outdoor tires on the bike I discovered one faulty air stem (strangely that tube was on the back roller all winter) and introduced myself to my own first genuine pinch flat. Changed out the first tube, rolled in the second and was in such a hurry to get out the door (remember the talk about lack of patience?) that I didn't bother to check that the tube was fully inside the tire. Pumped it up and KA-BOOM!!! Gunshots (okay, small gunshots) in the basement!!! On to tube #3 we went. After the day's ride it didn't even matter.


On the road again.....


Peace.

2 comments:

Darren said...

Nice one, riding outside. I was thinking about you on Saturday and wondering if went 'out'. It's so mild for you southerners!

Good job getting all your flats out of the way in March too!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Wow! I probably would have wet myself if I had a "ka-boom" flat while on the trainer!

Thanks for adding me to your blog sidebar. I have bookmarked your blog and look forward to reading more about your training and races.

Stay tuned...