Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend TT update

Yet another brutally windy weekend. This weekend was the Alton Time Trial weekend. Unfortunately, some of us couldn't make it out for the "mostly flat" time trial course - only Darren and Cliff made the grade. One note of interest: when Darren says the course is "mostly flat", don't believe a word he says.



I went out on Saturday for a solo TT, since it was the day. For those who have been following along, yes, I remembered my helmet this time. However the wind had other plans. I estimated the wind to be between 35 - 40km/h, since that was the speed at which there was no forward wind resistance. It was so quiet at that speed that it felt something like what I imaging the eye of the tornado would be like.



I wouldn't count these results as being worth anything, but for the sake of interest, here are the duplicate TT results, taken at two different segments on a 75km route.



TT #1: Elapsed time 32.39, average HR 142 - average speed 27.6 km/h

TT#2: Elapsed time 23.33 (with one 12% grade, one traffic light and one pull to the side of the road and stop for ambulance), average HR 135 - average speed 38.2 km/h.



Of note, the second repeat was over two hours after the first, and after several lung-busting hill repeats. Also, from a RPE perspective the second was a bit of a "sand-bag", maybe a RPE of 4-5. After finishing the repeat I had several km of new, flat pavement ahead of me so I put the hammer down and mashed - spent a long time over 50 km/h with tailwind. There's no way I was putting out the same effort on the way back with the tailwind, whereas on the first I was fighting to keep the bike upright and out of traffic (guessing RPE 8-9).



So, what does this data tell me? Absolutely nothing of any value, other than the fact that a power meter might have helped to equalize. Speaking of power, and specifically hill power I put the killer hills from the last long ride (Bell School Line and Sixth Line) back in the repertoire. At that "speed" (and I use that term very loosely on those hills) wind is not a factor. I did also manage to break the speed limit on a downhill - 65km in a 60km zone - which is always cheering. Thought I could do the same coming back down Sixth Line. Alas, the limit is 80km/h, and I came up short there - last peek I stole was as 73.4 km/h.



Finally, met another rider stopping for a drink and a snack passing by Kelso Glen. She had come out from downtown for some hill repeats, but was nearly fried from the ride fighting into the wind the whole way. I did feel a little sympathy for her, but figured she be home (between 50-60km away) in less than an hour.



Peace.

No comments: