Thursday, April 3, 2008

Good practice, what do you want to do.... :)

Today's workout summary:




45 minutes easy spin - after yesterday's deep into the night discussions, there wasn't much energy left for more than this.


60 minutes - 2500m pyramid swim - actually 2700m.


60 minutes - easy run. Testing the achilles - haven't run since Thursday and it seems to be resting uneasily. No pain, no problem afterward, although to be honest, I must admit I did baby it. This is definitely something that'll have to be checked out. Any run course with moderate-to-nasty hills, or any time the form breaks down in the late stages of a long run, it could "zing" like a harp string.



As I mentioned before the plan for next week is to do more running and probably zero biking, unless I can locate a spin bike. The good news is that the pool at the hotel is apparently big enough for good swim workouts. Bonus.








So I'm essentially back to ground zero in the job hunt. Here's the situation:



Door #1: not going to pursue this candidate (me) - too junior, not enough experience (?!?) I thought eight years was plenty, but...



Door #2: choosing to search in a different direction - less production management and more engineering/maintenance. Not closing the door completely, but I've been indirectly identified as a consolation prize, at best, at this time.



Door #3: not returning my calls. Certainly would have been the opportunity that would have come with the most challenges, in the beginning.





So that's the current deal. Plenty of other fish in the sea, so to speak. In reality, I think this was a good first step, and I'm not just trying to paint a happy face on the situation. It allowed me to get some practice, and it illustrated some of the obvious "rusty spots" in my interviewing technique - it has been at least six years since I interviewed with any seriousness. There are some other hooks out there right now, and I certainly have the time and the "comfort zone" to find something that really fits, so time marches on. Not a big deal. More time to hit the bike (woo-hoo!), and it's certainly advantageous to be able to swim in the afternoon, rather than at 5:30 a.m. It also gives me more time to decide what I "actually want to do with my life" - a little Twisted Sister flashback for those of you of a certain demographic.





Come on now, you wanted to see that, didn't you?


Peace.

No comments: