Sunday, January 6, 2008

Three of my favourite things

...but first, one of my least favourite things. Slow swimmers. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not by any means a fast swimmer. I'm certainly faster than when I picked up this sport three seasons ago, but that's the definition of what I'd call damning with faint praise, like being a better singer than Sanjaya, or a better parent than Britney.



I guess the rant today is more about an essentially wasted workout in the pool, spending nearly all my time stopping and waiting for a sliver of lane space to open up. Listen, when I'm using a kickboard, without flippers and still have to stand up and wait so as not to run over the swimmer in front of me, there's a mismatched speed problem. Part (in fact most) of it's my fault today. Picking the afternoon lane swim relegates one to swimming with casual, once-a-week or less swimmers, who don't necessarily have any purpose in mind, other than to noodle up and down the lane for awhile, and maybe stop and have a chat or two. Again, my rant is not with these people; in fact, the more people that come out to swim, the more lane swimming times the pool will have to open up. I'm afraid I'll just have to toughen up, and get back in the water at 5:30 a.m. again.


As for the week's workouts in general, an up and down week. On the plus, got in two swims (even including today's effort) and two rides. I'm really getting into the rollers - they require a certain level of mental focus that I just don't need on a trainer. I would find myself on the trainer sitting up to have a drink or something to eat, or just because I could, whereas on the rollers, one false move like that will put you into the kitchen chairs alongside the setup. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not yet ready for one-legged drills on the rollers. In fact the very idea of them puts me in awe of those who would even attempt them. Nor would I yet attempt any "get out of the saddle and mash" repeats yet.

As for the run this week, only managed to get three in. Burned a full day on Saturday with some, ahem, "gastrointestinal distress". Since this is a family forum (or at least this blog is hoping to keep a PG rating) let's just say everything was exiting from everywhere, and the whole day was spent in a zombie-like trance. On the plus, it seemed to be a 24-hour thing, as I got both my "swim" in this morning and a ten-mile run tonight to cap it off.



As for three of my favourite things, they were the only thing I managed to keep down yesterday, although it was close for a while. Chocolate chip cookies (actually, cookie - just one). It's all in the name. Chocolate. Chips. And cookies. And all conveniently contained in a three-for-one package. What could be better than that?

No comments: