Sunday, January 20, 2008

The answer my friend...

...is blowin' in the ....
...four strong.....
...the summer...
..you are the ...beneath my wings.

Okay, get it? It's crickin' WINDY!!!!! Went out for a run this morning and it became a battle of survival. The newspaper called for a high of -12 today, with a wind chill factor of -26. I'm going to conservatively estimate that the winds gusted to a wind chill today of -30, at least. Ever hit that point on a long ride where the tank is empty, where you keep just calling for more and there's nothing there? When wind or not, you just put your head down, keep your legs moving, and hope that the end eventually comes? I can tell you exactly where I hit that point today, 12 km into a 20km run, making the turn north on Dorval, on the south side of the QEW. There were stretches where I thought that frostbite was a real concern. It turned out to not really be much, so that's okay. I suppose the other clue should have been when I had to chew ice off the top of my water bottle (twice) to drink.

Overall, a pretty low mileage week - 50km total run time, and with a 2-hr spin scheduled tonight the bike will be up to 4.5 hr for the week. That'll be the last hard work before the Alton Half next weekend. And the swimming, yes the swimming. Blew off two scheduled swims this week. No comment.

Peace.

No comments: