Friday, January 11, 2008

Small world

Funny...found out the other day that my son's hockey coach is an Ironman - cracked off a sub-11 hour at Penticton a few years back. Has also run a sub-3:10 marathon. Geez, who knew? Last year, his hockey coach had multiple half-irons on his resume. Whaddya know? Maybe it's catching after all. Also stumbled across the blog of Crackhead, who I met last year at Lake Placid. To top it all off, played hockey this week with my triathlete buddy Chad. Now, Chad's an Olympic-distance triathlete, which to me just means he doesn't have the staying power to go the distance. He was looking for a ride this weekend, and unfortunately, never did manage to coordinate the timing for the weekend, or that would have been good. I've ridden with him before, and like a typical sprinter, he's all blown up early and can't hold it together for a long ride. Until that time though, he drops me repeatedly - uphill, downhill, on the flats, doesn't matter.


Big weekend planned, after a pretty low-key week. 25K run on tap for tomorrow with Darren - looks like a few laps around Heart Lake. Should be good - don't know if I can keep up with him, and since it's a training run, don't know if I should try. Going to follow that up with a 2 hour ride on Sunday - can't decide yet whether it'll be indoor or out - the weather has been just stupidly warm for January - any snow that was around (of course you remember the fun I've had with snowplows this winter) is long gone.


As for the swim, I do believe I've been making excuses for about two months now, and time's up. I missed an opportunity to get in with the local master's group, which leaves me "self-coached" for yet another year. Remember the saying about the man who represents himself in a court of law has a fool for a client? Yep, that's me in the water. For now, it is what it is. We'll see.

Peace.

No comments: