Sunday, January 13, 2008

Another week down

I am a little ashamed to review the training I've done this week. Still don't have much of a formalized plan, and it's showing. Without a written objective, and a plan to get there, it's awfully easy to blow off a 5:30 a.m. swim. I did substitute a 5:30 bike ride on the rollers earlier this week for a swim, but it was just a crappy ride altogether. HR was spiking all over the place, and I wouldn't exactly call it a quality workout.



So, in that regard, I'm putting down here, now, the "A" priority events this year:



Chilly Half - March 2

Peterborough half-iron - July

Muskoka 70.3 - September 14



Of these I'm registered for two (not yet for P'boro). According to my trusty rotary project manager the Chilly Half is seven weeks away, P'boro is 25 weeks away and Muskoka is 10 weeks later. It's right down to crunchtime for the Chilly, especially if I'm looking to PB this year. The current PB is 1:35:02. I'd like to hit 1:30:00 for the Chilly, which is going to take a lot of LT/speed work between now and then. Six weeks (with a one-week taper) between now and then is all that's left.



I'm also committing to writing down a plan to get me from here to P'boro, and then to Muskoka, starting tomorrow. It's time. I really need to start with a swim focus. I've been laying down the run base since November, and with the winter still upon us (although today would've been a day to take the ride outside), can't do much more than maintenance and form work for now.



As for this week in review, I got in, ahem, zero swims, two rides and three runs, including a long run with Darren yesterday. Now he's going to raise an eyebrow to this, but I think we went 15 miles. Even if it was only 14, it was a good "long run" day. One lesson learned: I probably shouldn't be running with him. Probably pushed it a little too much, and the achilles reminded me of that fact all afternoon yesterday. Seems to be back to normal today.

Let's see how it goes, starting tomorrow.

1 comment:

Darren said...

Hey!
I don't want to be responsible for any achilles injury!!
Got to make sure you are nice and healthy for the Alton half.. t-minus 12 days! Doh.

Thanks for the run Aaron.
Cheers!