Sunday, December 2, 2007

Soar like an anvil, the evil of snowplows...



Well, this week, I finally took the plunge, and got back in the water on Tuesday morning. I'm sure you're all thinking it looked just like that (above). Actually, it felt more like:




Less smooth, graceful flight and more fighting to stay alive and not get run over. The plan was for a nice easy 2000m swim or so. I don't think I had that in me. HR was spiking all over the place, and I think I finally "pulled the plug" at about 1250m. Got some work to do, but that's okay. This is the run focus part of the programme. I'm hoping to ease back into the swimming, but this just makes it clear that I can't put it off too much longer.

So today, I think, might just be the official end of the outdoor bike season. Held off 'til snowfall last year, and I was actually riding on New Year's Day outside last year (although I guess technically that was this year). Now, it doesn't look like it's going to go quite that far, not after today.

While we're on the topic of snow, let me take a moment to direct a rant at a certain group of people. Those people for whom a special corner of you-know-where should be reserved, along with the people who sneak eleven items through the "eight items or less" express lane, or those who snack on peanuts without paying for them at the bulk food store, or those who wheelsuck at the back of the draft pack without ever taking a turn to carry the load at the front (especially those who draft in non-draft-legal events). Yes, you guessed it - I'm talking about snowplow drivers - specifically snowplow drivers who wait until you've shoveled forty-five minutes worth of heavy, back-breaking, wet snow out of the driveway, then steamroll on an unwavering path down your street, scraping the asphalt bare, down to the black, then leaving a two-foot high glacial deposit and barrier at the end of the driveway that only an army vehicle could traverse. Vengeance will one day be mine, buddy. The circle of life will rotate and one day karma will dictate that a blizzard of snow will descend upon your driveway, on the one day in July when your plow is "in the shop" for buffing and polishing. Be warned.

I've taken the first steps to starting up the run club at work - my current working plan is to start up at the "learn to run" level, with the objective being a 5- or 10-K road race sometime around the time of the Mississauga Marathon. However, the interest level of the group will dictate whether those options are reasonable. I'm thinking that there may be some "guest speakers" among the group who, maybe for the price of a pair of socks, or some pancakes :o) would be willing to speak to the group. We'll see how far this goes.

I've gotten three runs in this week so far, with a ten-miler on the board for today(!!) Ran home last night from my son's hockey game - a good, winding six-mile path. I'm hoping to not drive myself insane on the treadmill tonight - too wet out to go that long outside. Stay tuned.

ap


2 comments:

Cliff said...

Aaron,

That's great to hear you are starting a run club at work. I am with you running outside as much as we can before we hit the dreadmill. Indoor is just so boring.

I haven't swim yet.

Darren said...

Did someone say pancakes??

Ok, I'm hungry now.

RE the Hackett video. Excellent visual on the catch phase of the stroke. Burn that in your memory.

It's cold. I don't wanna run..