Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Those three little words and the real Boxing Day bonus

Unavoidable really, to those of a certain age and of a certain family structure. Yes, it's true, the three most dreaded words in the vocabulary of any parents anywhere. At this time of year they're repeated almost endlessly, seen in writings everywhere and absolutely not understood by mothers or children anywhere:







wait for it...























SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED.





Now, I've graduated university, so I think it's fair to say that I could consider myself an intelligent man. I've assembled bicycle racks and changed changed headlights and taillights. I've taken apart and rebuilt brake calipers, and with a son of "that age" I've put together more Lego than I thought I'd ever see in my life. Fixed more flat tires, on cars and bikes, than I care to remember. I've gotten my bike flat tire change split under ten minutes, with hand-pump (no CO2 - you want to talk about "cheater minutes" :0)). I've replaced light fixtures, toilets, shower heads and spent two weekends ripping out and replacing flooring in my house (okay, so it was laminate, but still...) By no means am I Bob Vila, but I think I'm somewhere north of Tim "the tool man" Taylor, if you know what I mean. Spent most of the day yesterday engulfed in this activity. For those who have been there, you know what I mean. For those who haven't yet had the joy, let me tell you - no words will do it justice. I'd be more than happy to not see another 3/16" hex bolt or to have to assemble slot "A" into notch "B" and to wire/wrap cross bar "C" with mesh "D".


The real Boxing Day special is soon to begin...











No comments: