Sunday, November 18, 2007

Random thoughts (weekend smorgasbord)

No real unifying topic this weekend - more like channel surfing of the brain....

No pancakes this weekend - heard there might have been 15cm of snow in the Orangeville area this weekend - wonder how the cross-country, 25km trail run went?

Thought the CFL was supposed to be a run 'n gun league, full of offence? The Argos have offence, all right...as in, they're offensive to watch. Talk about "letting the air out of the ball" - if you can only score one touchdown per game in this league, you don't deserve to win.

Big cheer out to my nephew "K-gun", after spending most of last week at THSC - little dude is home and chillin' - hopefully his parents are exhaling again...



Xmas decorations are out already....nothing like getting a month-and-a-half head-start. Really now, is that necessary? My own "house rule" is nothing before December 1 - everybody gets wired enough with radio stations playing nothing but carols and the stores and malls filling up without constant stimulation at home...

My son went back out on the ice for his first hockey practice and first time on skates, in a month. He broke his left arm at school (fell off the playground) - now he's got the complete set. He fell off the monkey bars at home a year ago, and broke the right arm. He even refers to himself as an accident waiting to happen. On the bright side, he made it through the practice with no incident. Woo-hoo!

Inspired by a previous post from Cliff, I'm considering starting a run club, or maybe a "learn to run club" at the office. I know there's interest - a couple of people have mentioned it. I think they're assuming that since I'm the resident "fitness expert" (only IronMan on site) I would be good at it. This is probably a topic for a future post, but I'm giving it some thought. I am the black sheep of my family - the only non-teacher. My father, mother, brother, sister, brother-in-law and sister-in-law are all teachers (to say nothing of the aunts and uncles I've no doubt forgotten).

Gonna enter the IronMan World Championships lottery this year - why not? For those who don't know, it's in Kona, Hawaii, in October. I've got as much a chance of winning that lottery, or any other lottery as I do of seeing the Leafs parade the Cup down Yonge St. before I die. I remember telling my wife once, years ago, that I'd be taking my son out of school the day that the Stanley Cup parade was scheduled. She agreed - she must have known, even then. Maybe it'll be the parade to take my grandchildren to.

No comments: