Sunday, November 4, 2007

No ride, heading up north, laying out the training plan

Had big plans to ride this weekend, which unfortunately fell through. There's some bug in circulation around here - it's hit both kids and my wife, and it also took out Darren, the sometime riding partner. Tried to make up for it on the trainer on Saturday, but it's just not the same. I just can't get into riding inside, not yet, not even with good DVD selection (I went through five seasons of the Sopranos last spring in training for IMLP).

And what about the US men's marathon trials this weekend? I've heard about "weekend warriors" dropping dead when they get in over their head, but the elites? 28 year-old Ryan Shay walked off the course, five miles and 30 minutes into the race, and collapsed. Cause is as yet unknown, but suspected to be heart-related. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of us - I do know it's probably not enough to get me to stop.

Out of the office for the next couple of days - heading up north for some winter "team building". We're going up to a park on the edge of Algonquin Park, in Northern Ontario. Weather, although not always reliable, is calling for rain both days with chances of snow. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this. I think this could be interesting.

As for the training this year: the A priority race is Muskoka 70.3 - that's ten months away. I'm hoping to build through the year to be able to: a) not overtrain and burn out, and b) hit a finishing time of 4:30 in Muskoka. My PB at the 70.3 distance is 5:26, at Peterborough in 2006. Might as well have an ambitious target. Working backward, I need a stronger run. The stronger run only comes from not over-fatiguing on the bike (which in turn means a stronger bike). The bike comes from not flaming out in the swim by going out too hard. Lot of work ahead, through the winter and spring. Details to follow - I'm working through "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel, which so far is excellent - I recommend it.

Park weather report to follow - if I make it back. Like they say, if a bear shows up, you only have to outrun one other person. I've seen the guys in my office. I'm not worried.

No comments: