Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bottle rockets and speeding tickets

What a beauty of a day.  Warm, sunny and permission slip signed to go off on a monster ride.  Turned out to be the first 100+ km ride of the year (111 to be exact) with only one "where the  frig am I?" moment.

So bottle rockets?  Yep, I'm seriously peed at this (maintaining the PG rating here).  I launched my bottles three separate times today.  Twice I heard them - the third I was stopped at a traffic light where I was saved by a guy in a truck who informed me one was gone.

Three?  Seriously?  I need a new method here.  It's tough to stay aero when you're constantly reaching back to make sure your bottles are still there, to say nothing of drinking from bottles that drop and roll through the muddy brown shmuck on the back country roads still defrosting from the frozen winter just ended.

I also got in some excellent climbs today - the escarpment is great for that, no matter what part of it you're on.  Up Main/Wilson into Ancaster is a beaut - 10-12 minute climb, helped out today by "the unknown roadie" who happened out of a side street and proceeded to pull me all the way up the hill.  I meant to take a turn, but he just kept on going and going and going.  Going down the same street is way better - under 5 minutes.

Lastly, since my wife occasionally reads this, we won't talk about the adventure with the black pick-up truck and apparently no turn signal whatsoever in Waterdown.  Jack@$$.

Peace.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Aaron,

I drove up there before. That's definitely a good climb.

Richard said...

Bottle rockets...hehehe. I think I lost too many to count last season. Try putting just a bit of electrical tape around the top of the cage. Worked fairly well...except for the rough rail crossings ;-)