Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

I'm not American. I never have been and have never had any great desire to become, not because there's anything wrong with that. I just happen to be happy with the snow (even with the shoveling) the maple syrup and beer (sometimes even together).

Today however was a day that just once, just one little weeny teeny little bit deep down inside wanted to be American, just to feel as though I was part of history. One day this will be remembered as one of those "location" moments, as in, "where were you when.....?"

I mean, when a Canadian third-grade class skips science today to explain what "inauguration" means and to explain the significance of it all to a room full of eight-year olds that's a big deal. And then again, when it's the only topic of conversation at dinner, it's at least memorable.

Yes, we can? I don't know. But I'll sure be watching with much more interest than I have for about seven years.

No comments: