Sunday, January 18, 2009

The gift that keeps giving (or taking away)...

This morning was a killer run. 22km over the fabled Northshore hills. The Sunday morning running group has decided it's time to get serious about training with the Chilly Half now less than 2 months away and ATB just over two months out.

Now, I like hills as much as the next guy (or maybe that should be as little). The real killer this morning was running through the slushy unplowed roads. The course goes out through town and into a fairly quiet part of town where the hills start. As an aside, this morning's route passes one golf course and three (!!!) cemeteries. Coincidence? Actually the route stops at the base of a hill with a cemetery at the top, but close enough.

My feet are killing. It's not the "ups" that do it. I think it's the "downs" and the careful picking of foot positions to avoid ice, puddles and general overall shmuck. I must say however I did pull one nice aerial jumping over the splash from an oncoming car that changed lanes a little too close to us. Jumped the splash, and stuck the landing too.

This was preceded yesterday by a three-hour ride in the basement. Warmed up on the trainer to the end of some Premier League football game (ew - yeah I know, any port in a storm) and then plugged in "Gladiator" Still a great flick, but doesn't really work so well on the trainer.

So, the gift that keeps on taking? Well, after shoveling the driveway today (again, but I won't talk about it) I had to go to my least favourite place on earth.......




the mall.



Not only did I have to go to the mall to return a sweater that was gifted and did not fit I was bounced around to three different malls to find the right size. It was even worse when one store said "we don't have it but store X does" and then store X has taken the wrong item off the shelf, so they don't have it either. At least they agreed to find it and send it in, only calling me when it's received.

Oh well. I'm off to soak my toes.

Peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh come on! I can think of at least one place that you hate more than the mall...