Monday, August 4, 2008

Weekend report - T-minus 41 days...

Hey, first of all, props to my occasional training partners Darren and Cliff. Darren rocked the Owen Sound Olympic course this weekend, earning himself a qualifying trip to Australia for the world championships next year. He gracefully declined, no doubt worried about being upside-down for that length of time. And that result? - very nice. Just goes to show what a little focus, and 8-12 weekly repeats riding up a ski hill, can result in.


Not to be outdone, Cliff is on the verge of becoming an Olympian himself, and we're not the only ones who have noticed - check this out.


And for all those who had to "du"instead of "tri"this weekend at Steelhead, my condolences. I've never had the displeasure myself, so can only imagine the disappointment. I have to think, however that after saddling up for the ride, the grumpiness from the "first run"would float on away like a cloud.


Training-wise for me, nothing spectacular this weekend. 18k run, followed by a solid metric century ride this morning. Built in some good climbs - both Guelph Line and Appleby Line - as well as some good stretches of rollers to just bust the legs. Today's lesson was that, while a banana may be a good source of ride-time nutrition, it's not the best choice to carry in a back pocket. It still looked mostly like a banana when I got to it, but only about half.

Given where my training has been this year it's a relief to be putting in those kinds of hours again. Let's just not talk about the swim. I've also been considering stretching the season out a bit by adding an end-0f-season marathon in October or November, but that's still on the drawing board. I'll keep you posted.

All in all an excellent long weekend, topped off by taking the training wheels off my daughter's bike and watching my son turn a Jeter-esque ground-ball-scoop-spin-and-throw-on-to-the-base move playing in the park this afternoon. Successes all around.

Peace.

No comments: