Sunday, August 17, 2008

One one-hundredth of a second

Michael Phelps is a monster. Okay, I know I'm a little late to the game here, but I only watched his last two events. I imagine I can get caught up on YouTube, if I was so inclined. The relay was really rather anti-climactic, but the 100m fly was an actual one-minute spectacle. And for the dude from Serbia who lost by coasting the last one metre - he'll feel that for the rest of his life. Just goes to show that a casual swim fan (extremely casual) can't even remember his name three days later - that's the price of a one-hundredth-of-a-second coast. I can't fathom how short an interval of time that is. It's unbelievable (by the way that sentence is seventy-nine one-hundredths of a second long) to believe that one could be within reach of the wall and to not win. Equally unbelievable that Phelps was seventh at the turn, in a field of eight. Talk about turning on the jets, indeed. I've heard the phrase "Michael Phelps is the Tiger Woods of swimming". Hmm, I think that might be a little backward - more like "Tiger Woods is the Michael Phelps of golf".



And hats off to the rest of the Canadian medallers - better late than never. Yes, they started late, but if you go back and think about it, nobody who lost out in the first week was a real upset.

More to come.

Peace.

No comments: