Saturday, September 25, 2010

The end?

Recently I saw an article claiming that 90% of people who try triathlon become "hooked for life". That article is here.

On the surface that seems to make some sense. After all even a sprint tri, the shortest distance requires something between one and two hours of continual exertion. This is not baseball or hockey, where the action is intermittent, broken up by longer rest periods. And, this is the kind of sport that would seem to attract those with "extreme" personalities -the over-determined, goal-oriented, personalities.

Having said all that, I just recently talked to one of my long-time tri buddies who is announcing his retirement. It's been pretty clear from his emails and communications this year that he's got a massive case of burnout. He's married-with-no-kids in an age group just above mine and he has basically dedicated his life to this sport. In his six-year career he's acquired three bikes, a CompuTrainer and has turned himself into something of an authority on swimming and bike training. He has three Ironmans on his resume, multiple halfs and Olympics and at the half-iron distance he's regularly within ten minutes of the four-hour mark. To put it simply, he's an absolute monster on the race course. Now that hasn't come without issues. He readily admits to gastrointestinal issues at the Iron and more recently the half-iron distance. I always figured him for a guy who, once he got the nutrition dialed in, would be an absolute lock for a Kona slot whenever he decided he wanted one.

And now, it looks like all that is on hiatus. In his last communication to me he says he "just doesn't have the interest anymore".

I got started in this sport about six years ago, around the same time as my buddy, although I didn't know him then. I meandered my way through short races and half- and full marathons, including of course IronMan Lake Placid three years ago and IM Canada this year (no really, look at my race times - I really just meandered). I've gone through multiple IT band incidents and other incidents. I bordered on some GI issues at IMC this year, going through a spell of dizziness on the run that resulted in a 10-15 minute walking spell to clear that up. I also spent most of the first half of the marathon asking myself, "okay, should I just force myself to throw up or not?" It was about that severe.

I've had days (sometimes weeks) when training becomes work, when it's a chore to get to the pool in the morning. Sometimes it's too much of a chore to be bothered, and that day slot on the training log gets left blank.

But I'm still here. Going into IMC this year, my hope was to just finish uninjured. The base work just hadn't been there this year. I didn't think I had "respected the distance". After finishing I'm almost 100% certain I'll do the distance again. Certainly not next year - I don't think I'll ever ask Team Ironhead to support an Ironman-per-year habit. But, there will be at least one, and probably a few more.

Why? I don't know the answer. I know that my support crew is awesome. I know they support this on race day, even though they roll their eyes at me throughout the training season. I know my bud has an excellent support crew as well. Pancakes and smoothies are not uncommon after long race days. I think part of the difference is balance. This is not the only thing I do - the kids and their stuff see to that, as well as do my other actiivities - you know, the whole "earning a living" thing. I also think that perhaps I'm a little more relaxed on the course than my pal - he goes full out from the gun, while at the longer distances I'm just keeping it under control.

Maybe he needs to gear down on the course. Maybe a race or two without a stopwatch, or split times would help reset the compass. I don't know. I just hope the dude comes back. I don't know if I'm expecting him next season, but I know that season is still a long way away.

Come on back, D. Whenever you're ready. You know you want to.

Peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your support crew will always be there. Once a year is a bit extreme, even for extreme personalities, but we will always be there to hug you at the finish line and be proud of all your big dreams.
As for D, remember this:
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.
-- Dalai Lama
your biggest fan