Monday, February 16, 2009

Whittling down

If I turn my head just the right way, I can now see my neighbour's yard again. The snowbanks have been whittled down by the unseasonably warm spell for this time of year.

I am not fooled. It is February. This is Canada. Nobody in Canada puts away their snowshovels in February. In most years, February is the time of year where you go out to buy a second because the first has died of structural fatigue. Okay, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still, the point is, it's too early to be writing the eulogy on this winter just yet. I have, however seen a few hardy cycling souls out on two wheels. Last week and this weekend would have been the time for it - it was just about worth it.

Speaking of "whittling down", my group of Sunday morning run yahoos once boasted six regulars and has on at least one occasion swollen to ten, is now down to two(!). The group has split into three splinters, and two of those splinter groups now have decided to run on Saturdays leaving for now only two of us remaining for Sunday. We went out this weekend for a brisk 26k. Since I've noticed last years achilles tendon starting to "tune up the band" this year, I took it really easy. I've also made some physio appointments and have continued to stretch semi-regularly. After all the "season" kicks off with the Chilly Half, now in less than two weeks. Gotta be ready for that.

Peace.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Aaron,

U should be rocking half chili with all the runs you've been doing lately.

Yes..don't be fool..it is only mid feb :). we keep getting the white stuff until april.. :P