Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's baaaaack....


Whether you get your weather forecast from a broadcaster, the sky, a rodent, or a rodent's entrails the simple fact is that winter is back.  In fact it never actually left.  Oh, it teased for awhile - hid around the corner and pretended it was gone, but it's back today.

All the roads and sidewalks are covered in ice.  It's not slush or snow, dirt or hard-pack.  It's actual ice.  Yesterday was snow in the morning that turned to rainish-sleet through the day and then froze on the surface overnight so that all surfaces are ice-covered.  Running outside is  very treacherous right now.  Riding, unless you did it early last week or live here, is out of the question for the time being.

So back to the basement the bike goes.  Not yet time to take it to the streets.  The run is still on - just over a week to go to the season-opener, the Chilly Half.  It's the first outing of the year, so I'm not committing out loud to any finish times (although I'm sure Darren is going to try and wrench one out of me).

And a minor, minor setback:  event #2 on the schedule, ATB (oldest road race in North America) sold out before I registered.  D'oh!  There are still charity slots open, so I may still choose to go that route.

Not much more news.

Peace.

2 comments:

AW said...

Hi There,

Enjoy your blog, congrats on your success in triathlon and life in general. You seem to be able to manage the job-family-triathlon ratio quite well, and continue to have good training and good results. As I prepare for my second child, I keep struggling with the bare minimum in training. I just don't have time, or I don't get enough sleep and get sick. Wondering if you would care to share some thoughts on your training schedule, and juggling the different priorities in life to make it all work.

Thanks
AW

Aaron said...

Most of the results are accumulated over a few years of trying things, making mistakes and so on. I'm very lucky that "Team Ironhead" is supportive of my endeavors, and that's the key to any success in triathlon or anything else. There are times though when the kids will tell me that another run or ride is "unreasonable". As for the training schedule, it's definitely a squeeze. I try to make opportunities to get some work in, for example, riding the bike to work or running home from the kids' baseball or hockey practice. I have not yet been able to swim home from anywhere though.