Monday, November 24, 2008

Patience, consistency, frequency

...are not the answer to the question, "what are the three things I don't have?", so thanks very much. They are however the trifecta required to lay the foundation in this off-season for next season's results (whatever the plan may be). There's a good discussion of the topic here. The bottom line: time and mileage are the critical ingredients, are not negotiable and cannot be substituted. To be fair, I have demonstrated both consistency and frequency. For the last nineteen years (until last month) I got my hair cut monthly by the same guy in the same shop until he up and disappeared last month. Now that's consistent. And actually since I just waited seventeen years for a follow-up album/disc (I guess these days it would be a disc and not so much an album) that would be a demonstration of patience as well.


In following the "no blank days" decree of the last post inspired by Olympian Cliff, I must admit I am net one day down. I do resolve, however to make it up this week. Getting back to the pool and I've also hooked up with a run group that gets me out the door regularly on the weekend mornings. These guys for the most part are dedicated runners listing among their accomplished marathons NYC, Scranton (hey any location is a distance) Rome, Budapest, Marine Corps, Toronto - downtown and Waterfront and multiple Bostons. There are probably many more than that. One might be my future Comrades comrade. If possible at least one of these guys complains more than me.





Finally in response to a "comment" from an infrequent reader, but frequent commenter here's another shot of Team Ironhead, full entourage intact:



Peace.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Sucks to lose a barber :). I had one for 10+ years.

I do what i can. I almost went to the pool everyday for the past week.

Yes, let's keep the consistency and frequency up.

Glad to see that u have some runners to train with.